The short story, "The Stolen Party" by Lilian Heker was one of my favorite short stories that I have read. This story is about a little girl named Rosaura and she is the daughter of a maid. Rosaura is invited to a girl named Luciana's birthday party and Rosaura's mother is the maid of Luciana's mother, Señora Ines. Rosaura's mother doesn't want Rosaura going to the party because it's a "rich people" party and she knows why her daughter was invited. However, Rosaura thinks that she was invited because she's friends with Luciana and she wants Rosaura to be there to celebrate with her. When she gets to the party, Luciana's cousin questions her and ask her why she's there and says "No, you are not a friend of Luciana because I'm her cousin and I know all her friends. And I don't know you." Throughout the story, there is a "monkey" that keeps being mentioned. At first, I didn't think much of it but then I started to look deeper into it. Rosaura had a lot of fun at the party but didn't realize that she was only the helper all along. She helped Señora Ines with the food and she helped the magician, just like the monkey did as his helper. At the end of the story, Señora Ines gives Rosaura 2 dollar bills and says "You really and truly earned this. Thank you for all your help, my pet." That is when it finally dawns on Rosaura that she was just a helper, just like the "monkey" and just like her mother who was the maid.
While reading this story, I could clearly see the divide between classes. Luciana was born into an ascribed status just like Rosaura was but a different kind of ascribed status. Luciana was born into the higher class and automatically had a better life just because her parents were rich and a part of the higher class. Rosaura was born into the lower class and since her mother was a maid, Rosaura was looked at as just another little helper too and didn't have all the luxuries that Luciana and her family had. What I don't really understand though is why children are subjected to this kind of behavior. I don't understand how little kids could just not be friends with someone or treat someone differently just because they come from a different background and aren't just like them. Luciana's cousin questioned Rosaura because she knew Rosaura was different from everyone else.
Would you treat someone differently if you thought that they were in a lower or higher class than you? Do you think Rosaura could have stood up for herself or do you think it was better that she didn't try to defend herself after Señora Ines handed her the money?
Sam, i do agree with you on the fact there is a divide. you can really see in thew story that the gap between the rich and the poor is crazy.
ReplyDeleteI think Rosaura should have spit on Senora Ines. Or atleast done something instead of just standing there in shock.
ReplyDeleteTo do something disrespectful after Señora Ines gave her the money would just confirm Señora ones beliefs about people in the lower class. The respectful response could have shocked Señora Ines and could have changed her perspective a little bit.
ReplyDelete